About Me

My photo
My life's purpose is best described by: Be the change you want to see in the world: Gandhi. Smiling is my "botox"-FORGET THE DRUGS AND SURGERY. I spice up my life, not my diet, which is SIMPLY DELICIOUS on its own. KISS: I Keep it simple sugars-from whole, fresh, ripe, raw, organic fruits (veggies,some nuts/seeds too). The 811rv motto is: simplicity at mealtime, variety throughout the year. My motto is: I live in my own little world, but it's ok they all know me there. At some point, you have to realize that some people can stay in your heart, but not in your life.

11/14/2008

Examining Motives

This question was posted on vegsource recently. My reply is underneath.

From: MM (75.94.9.203)
Subject: Examining Motives for not staying on track
Date: November 12, 2008 at 8:35 pm PST


Okay, so I'm looking at the new year coming up and want to finally make this a permanent lifestyle and am taking a look at the most common reasons why I fall off this program, if and when I do fall off, and realized I could use some feedback and the added eyes looking at these "excuses" to help me get out of denial and into reality.

1) There are so many stories of people being able to reverse heart disease, diabetes, or any other disease, that I find myself rationalizing eating unhealthy foods by knowing that I can fast or eat healthy or whatever to reverse whatever I've done to myself. I know this is faulty reasoning because not every smoker or person with cancer can reverse their plight, but I haven't had any life-threatening issues yet and the small, nagging ones (allergies, whatever) are fairly easy to navigate around. Any reality checks to put this little monster away?

2) When I'm under stress (mostly financial--take a look at the economy) I find myself working in a job I hate but have to go to in order to make ends meet or I overwork myself due to other "have-to's" and then get low blood sugar from stress, not eating and taking a break and not resting when I'm tired. I know the natural hygiene lifestyle requires good sleep and other lifestyle habits, but how have you all coped when you want to stimulate yourself to keep going when your exhausted or want to numb out when you're afraid of losing your house??

3) Social disapproval in the form of interrogation, ostracizm (not inviting you over due to not knowing what to serve you) or constant questions WHILE you are eating at their dinner table have caused me many times to either avoid social situations all together or to give in. I have watched Dr. Graham's video on "making friends with your food" where he's got some really good suggestions on playing dumb and changing the subject, but does anybody else have any other suggestions? Bringing my own food hasn't worked too well and asking them to make a salad and then eating only that ilicits statements like, "are you only going to eat that??" and then people get offended that you are not eating the food that they've spent so much time preparing. Saying things like "it seems to be working for me so far" is okay when I'm doing well, but during detox can raise some eyebrows.

Any suggestions along any of these lines would be very helpful since you all have awesome experience and suggestions so far.

My reply:

1) Every single act you do effects you and all the relationships you are in for the present and future too. For example, if you choose to eat a pizza-not only will you have immediate digestive and bodily problems, but you will have put your hard earned money,time and energy encouraging animal agriculture if there's meat and cheese on it, grain agriculture with all its soil damaging, resource depletion, biodiversity destructive problems etc. Plus, the example that you set to others, especially those that you love. Do you truly want to work hard to be a part of those problems? (when I say you, I'm including myself in there too, this is how I reason with myself). Every single act makes a difference-be conscious.

2)Keep things in perspective. When you're under stress is when you need even more to be good to yourself otherwise you'll make things worse. How could you possibly keep your house if you lose your health? How could you possibly keep your house if the planet is in peril and most if not all of our economic activities are making it worse?
Cutting back on lifestyle expenses will not only de-stress you, but will help others and the planet as well. Are you so caught up in consumerism-that you're willing to pay for it with your health?

3)Social disapproval comes mostly when you disapprove of yourself. If you are not confident and proud of your choices, others will mirror YOUR OWN sentiments back to you. By changing your attitude your true friends will support you-the others are best to let go of.

Hope this helps (it helps me to remind myself) Can I post your message on my blog?

1 comment:

Ecodea said...

Great post!
Cheers from Brazil,
Andrea