About Me

My photo
My life's purpose is best described by: Be the change you want to see in the world: Gandhi. Smiling is my "botox"-FORGET THE DRUGS AND SURGERY. I spice up my life, not my diet, which is SIMPLY DELICIOUS on its own. KISS: I Keep it simple sugars-from whole, fresh, ripe, raw, organic fruits (veggies,some nuts/seeds too). The 811rv motto is: simplicity at mealtime, variety throughout the year. My motto is: I live in my own little world, but it's ok they all know me there. At some point, you have to realize that some people can stay in your heart, but not in your life.

8/06/2009

Eating locally is NOT always the best environmental choice

Eating locally is NOT always the best environmental choice

"What's the Ideal Distance from Farm to Fork?" asks U of T geography professor Pierre Desrochers.

This is an article from U of T magazine, one of my alma maters.

Promoting food grown by local farmers is worthy, but is based on a faulty premise according to Prof Desrochers.

"While a New Zealand apple eaten in Morrison Hall represents more "food miles" (the distance travelled from "farm to fork") than the indigenous McIntosh - it doesn't mean that the Ontario apple is the better environmental choices, says Desrochers. New Zealand apples are grown during our winter months so they don't need to spend long periods in energy-guzzling cold storage, he says.

According to Desrochers, buying locally grown but economically uncompetitive products almost never reduces greenhouse gases. In the U.S. 80% of the energy used to get food from the farm to the table occurs during food production. Transportation accounts for less than 10%

'Long-distance food transportation by highly efficient diesel container ships represents only a tiny percentage of the total energy used in agricultural productions,' says Desrochers, adding that cold storage or greenhouses use much more energy.

'North Americans somehow forget that we have seasons.'

I am an environmentalist, and I feel no guilt about buying tropical fruits that are imported here in Canada. I also buy seasonal things that are locally grown as much as possible. Québec strawberries, blueberries and other field berries are fabulous.
However, organic, fair-trade bananas I buy constantly as well as other tropical fruits that I get organic as much as possible. I am convinced that there is actually a positive value in terms of my environmental footprint in doing so. These fruits are grown on trees, which are hugely beneficial to the earth's environment. The trees provide habitat and nourishment to much wildlife. Also, their production provides a much more sustainable economic resource to other populations of the world that would otherwise cut down the trees for other types of agriculture or economic activity.

Of course, when I'm in Costa Rica, I don't buy anything imported because there is no need to, but when I'm in Canada I do and I feel good about it too!

So yes, eat local seasonal food, but an imported fair trade banana is still much better than a local piece of meat/animal or grain product.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I agree with this post and appreciate the information you've shared here. It's so true that buying imported bananas may be a better environmental choice than some of the local food grown in unnatural and unfavorable conditions :)

Green said...

Yes I agree but I'd rather go to the country where these fruits are currently growing and buy them there. Better yet is to live 12 months a year in the country where there is nearly always a fresh ripe and juicy fruit available locally. D'accord?

Via811 said...

Yes Green, I'm working on that dream.