About Me

My photo
My life's purpose is best described by: Be the change you want to see in the world: Gandhi. Smiling is my "botox"-FORGET THE DRUGS AND SURGERY. I spice up my life, not my diet, which is SIMPLY DELICIOUS on its own. KISS: I Keep it simple sugars-from whole, fresh, ripe, raw, organic fruits (veggies,some nuts/seeds too). The 811rv motto is: simplicity at mealtime, variety throughout the year. My motto is: I live in my own little world, but it's ok they all know me there. At some point, you have to realize that some people can stay in your heart, but not in your life.

11/17/2011

Pomegranates

Pomegranates have long been one of my favourite foods, but making a meal of them can be quite challenging because they take so long to peel and eat the individual seeds.

They are in season now and very good deals can be had on them in the grocery stores. The most efficient use for them I've found is to juice them with an orange juicer. The left over fruits and pips that don't get juiced can be blended into very tasty smoothies.

Here are a few of my favourite pomegranate smoothie recipes:


1) Pomegranates, grapes and lettuce
2) Pomegranates, oranges and lettuce
3) Pomegranates, oranges and celery
4) Pomegranates, oranges and fennel
5) Pomegranates, kiwis and lettuce
6) Pomegranates, kiwis and celery
7) Pomegranates, kiwis and fennel

Another great use I've found for pomegranates is a substitute for the popcorn I used to eat when watching a movie. I usually wear old clothes that I'm not afraid of staining when doing this because eating pomegranates while distracted by a movie always ends up making permanent stains in any material they come across.

Finally, pomegranate seeds add lovely texture and colour to any acidic or semi-acidic salad dressings as well as to other types of smoothies when they are added at the end.

Warning: pomegranates are quite astringent and can be very constipating. I usually need to eat them with lots of other good soluble fiber foods like tender greens in order to keep things moving smoothly.

Here is a link to some lovely images of pomegranates : Picture

No comments: